Sunday, February 13, 2011

Where is God?

God is in the details.

When I say this, I don't mean that every single detail of every little thing is "God."

I mean that He exists in the small things. Which means that sometimes we don't (or won't) see Him unless we're intentionally looking for Him.

For example, today I was talking with a co-worker about how people say that "hindsight is 20/20." Of course, things usually make sense when we look back at them and see how they brought us to where we are today.

But in the midst of those times I occasionally want to look up at the sky and wonder what the crap God is doing. Some might say this is a lack of faith.

To some extent, it is.

Knowing and believing are two very different things. I know the Lord will take care of me. I don't always believe it.

To know is thought based- to believe is heart based.

One provides information, the other provides comfort.

There are many people who know that God works in our lives; there are not quite as many who believe.


I have a lot of unknown in front of me. My first inclination is try to steer the course of events in my favor. I worry about what my close friends will think of my life, my career, or my purpose.

You see, I grew up in the generation that was constantly told to be different, to be unique, to be special. Most of us dropped the charade as we realized the vast spoils of success.

I internalized that desire to be special. I internalized the high expectations that my family had for me. I was exposed to temptation of affluence.

Now all of those things are waging war in my mind/heart.

And somewhere in the details of this battle, I'm trying to seek God.

It's kind of like trying to understand someone whispering to you in a large room where everyone is talking loudly.

Let's clear the clutter.

God is in the details.

-D.B.

No comments: