Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Differences for Differences' Sake

In my life I've met many people. Being my age, I meet many people who are trying to be cool, trendy, or something of the like.

I listen to musicians who expound in their lyrics about the virtues of not being part of the "system" or being very different.

I've always thought it was a good idea to be different, but it seems like these musicians, actors, etc. all can say that it's worth it to be different because they found immense success and wealth from being different.

I imagine what it would have been like for them if they had ended up at a dead-end job, wishing they had made it big. Perhaps the content of their speech would be different. Who knows?

I also seem to think that celebrities love the idea of being different for different's sake, as opposed to any sort of good reason. I recently read a book that mentioned that now all the meaning in art has been taken away by making it art for art's sake. So if we're different just for the sake of being different, it actually is pointless. (and a waste of our time)

As followers of Christ, we are called to be different, but not just to be weird or off-beat, and certainly not to be noticed. We're called to live such good lives among non-believers that "though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2:12

If I'm honest with myself, I enjoy being different because I like the attention. But unless being different has a purpose, it's really just a waste of time and resources.

-D.B

No comments: